Sewing

Monday, July 31, 2006

August Sewing Projects

21 August 2006

I haven't been doing much sewing lately, mainly because I've had to take work home and also because David has been feeling a bit neglected.

I made a skirt for myself on the weekend it was supposed to be a dress but I didn't like the way the top section turned out so I cut it off and made it into a skirt.

I also made this apron dress for Kimberly but I think the bib section is too big, I have already unpicked it once to make it smaller but Kim refuses to try ti on so I have no one of knowing for certain.


Kimberly modelling the top that Sam made for the sewing swap. The top is absolutely gorgeous and gets lots of wear.
Kimberly in Ingrid's sewing swap outfit. Kim adores the top and alternatives between it and the one that Sam made.

I bought these buttons a few weeks back and Katelyn had a ball "organising" them for me.

10 August 2006
It's official - daggy home made clothes is restricted to my work only. I have been so spoilt by my sewing swap partners I recieved the most gorgeous parcel from the lovely Ingrid on the weekend.

When I opened the parcel I found a beatuiful bag with satin ribbon draw string with the letter K monogrammed on it. Inside everything was matching, there was a t-shirt with a crown and button jewels, jeans with a ruffle swirl and turn up contrasting cuffs, and a little pinni top that is reversable. It was all so adorable and beautifully made. I was speechless. But to top things off Ingrid also incuded a handmade card which is now sitting on our mantle and swing tags.

I haven't taken any pictures yet but you can find the lovely Miss C modelling the clothes in Ingrid's blog. Thank you Ingrid we love everything and you are so talented.

Silly me forgot to take pictures of the things that I made for Ingrid, but luckily Ingrid is very organised you can see the items here.

Last night I received another sewing swap parcel from Sam, I am still amazed by how lovely everything is. If you think I am exaggerating I am not. David thought that I had bought the clothes from Europe, when I told him that it was part of the sewing swap he gently told me that Sam's sewing is better than mine. Which is a huge compliment as David thinks the world of me and everything I do.

I don't think photos will be able to do either ladies work justice but I will take pictures none the less on the weekend.

I have started a little apron dress for Kimberly and (drum roll please) I have completed a pinni for Katelyn, yeah. It's not very good as it was just a trail and I am hoping to make another one in fancy fabric for her soon. I have also started on a floral print top for me, I forgot to allow for seam allowance when I traced the pattern so I'm not sure if it's going to fit. Hopeing to get all the items completed this weekend and post pics.

1 August 2006
Happy Horse's Birthday (and Happy Birthday Lawrie, my brother in law). I didn't get any sewing done last night but I did get a chance to look at some sewing magazines. David commented on how daggy some of the outfits looked and I tend to agree wtih him. Which leads me to wondering whether "home made clothes" equates to daggy clothes and if so am I being cruel making clothes for my girls?

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I love most of the things that the ladies in my sewign group make. I'm really just reflecting on things that I have made. I really enjoy sewing and don't want to give it up, but I don't want my girls to look daggy either.

I think I'll keep making clothes for them but when they tell me no more then I will stop, so really I probably only have a couple more years.

10 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

I think at times we all sometimes don't choose the best fabric and pattern combinations, but I wouldn't ever generalise that homemade= daggy.

4:16 PM  
Blogger brazen's crafts said...

unfortunately there's that teen peer pressure and brand label recognition thing happening :( but you can sew for yourself then! lol have you looked at the ottobre magazine? most of their teen stuff is pretty funky.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Karen I have seen the Ottobre magazine and I have to agreed that there teen stuff is very funky. My problem is I don't think I could reproduce what's in the mag.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No way Kay! Homemade definitely does not equal daggy. Some people are just dags whether they wear homemade or buy daggy. But for me a huge part of the reason I started sewing is I want to avoid the whole generic commercial look that is available in kidswear, and I don't want Miss C to dress like an 16yo when she is only 2!!
I know she will eventually rebel and want to dress her own way and I am sure that will include lots of brand labels and ready made, but hopefully I can also nuture in her a sense of individuality, that can be expressed with homemade. And btw, lets call it custom made, it sounds fancier ;-)

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sewing patterns are a jumping off point. You may see a Fred Bare item for $80 and think, well I could make something similar for $15, and several of them.
One day you will be thankful to be able to sew when your daughters need a dress up for a particular occasion. My beautiful daughter is the best ever Alice in Wonderland.
CBM.

10:36 PM  
Blogger candi said...

nah, home made doesn't equal daggy...

One thing I have noticed that home made stuff tends not to have is top stitching, so I have been a bit top stitching mad lately!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Kay I love that dress. The paisley print looks just gorgeous!! And I am so glad Miss K likes her swap items. She looks beautiful in them :)

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy civic date fall honda tour

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you study the text youd find "The Garden Get rid of is made from Finnish pine and safety glass and equipped with automatic openers to control the temperature inside" and also the last
image clearly shows what the mullions are for, you can possess a small, or alot.


Here is my web site buy arrow sheds

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home